Yesterday was our appointment with the allergist and after going over E’s history with the doctor, we had some skin testing done. They did a skin prick test with ten of the most common environmental allergens and ten of the most common food allergens.
After getting poked with 20 little needles in her back, we had to wait 10-15 minutes to see if any of them swelled up like mosquito bites. In less than a minute, one of them on panel “C” began to swell and grew rapidly with each passing minute. I watched it nervously and kept muttering to B that I wanted to know what it was. Meanwhile, E started to break out in tiny little hives on an un-poked area of skin about two inches away from the spot that was swelling up.
By the time ten minutes passed, E had swelled up in four different places. She had a less significant reaction in a couple of other spots, and no reaction in the rest of them. That first spot that had swelled up on panel “C” was the biggest and the baddest. The nurse measured all of the spots that had reacted–one measurement for the hive itself, and another for the spot of redness around it–and then she pulled up the chart that showed us which allergen each hive corresponded to.
As I had suspected this whole time, milk was one of them. Egg whites was another, and so was dog hair. And that big one on panel “C”?
The allergens E reacted to but that weren’t a big enough reaction to warrant claiming an “allergy” were dust mites and cat hair.
The doctor came back in the room and explained that as E gets a little older, she might be able to outgrow some of the food allergies–the milk and eggs, precisely. But her reaction to the peanut was significant enough that he’s concerned we may be in for the long haul with it. We’ve scheduled an appointment to go back in six months (when she’s almost a year old) for blood testing to determine how severe the food allergies are. He said only 10% of babies/kids with a peanut allergy ever outgrow it.
Because of the food allergies, I have to eliminate peanuts, milk, and eggs from my diet as long as she’s getting my breastmilk. She also has milk and soy protein intolerance, so soy is out as well. (So what do I eat, you might ask? You can bet I’m going to post about it soon!)
Did I mention I am a peanut butter ADDICT and eat a couple of servings of it a day? No wonder the poor girl is always itching and breaking out in rashes! 😦
Since E is also allergic to dogs, we have to ban the poor pup from her room completely. We need to do a deep clean of her room this weekend and then run a HEPA filter in her room 24/7; we’ve also decided to run one in the living room as well, just for good measure. This allergy makes me a little sad because E loves our dog so much.
It’s a lot of information to take in and I’m a bit overwhelmed. But I’m also glad we have some answers. I’m thankful I didn’t try feeding E a spoonful of peanut butter a few months from now, so we didn’t have to learn the hard way that she can’t have peanuts. And between now and January, I can only hope that she outgrows some of these allergies. If not, we’ll get creative and do what we have to do for little E!